Subject: Re: JG's LWPro editor's message.
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 15:04:33 -0400

I was rather peeved that I had been screwed by Mitac, but I was
even more upset that MicroSquish just dismissed the entire class
of motherboards made with a particular design of genuine Intel
support chips. On the other hand, the machine is also incapable
of running OS/2 Warp for the same reason it won't run NT. So I 
guess the blame actually falls on Intel for selling chips that are NOT
100% IBM compatible.

(jdavid)
>Dan, please give me the number for them, and remember, the 
>Internet is a powerful network!

Mitac Customer Service/Technical Support
( 800 ) 285-5974

If you DO call and get Richard, don't harrass him. He did try very hard
to resolve the problem for me. The screw job came from upper 
management. They offered to swap in the SAME class of mother-
board if I paid for shipping and waited two to three weeks. That, of 
course, would not have solved anything. According to Mitac 
management, swapping in a motherboard that worked with NT
would constitute an upgrade for which I would be required to pay,
as well as paying for shipping. I decided to run under Windoze
for now, wait for higher speed motherboards to become available,
and then swap them myself. That way I'm only down a few hours,
and I'll have a motherboard to sell to someone who will only run
Windoze ( or a nice gift for a family member ).

(artworx)
>If you post the specifics there may be some people out here who 
>could help. The difficulties you did mention with caching also 
>usually points to driver problems or driver SCSI controller(?)

There was no SCSI involved. It is a known hardware bug which
MicroSoft blames on the Intel support chips, and since OS/2 Warp
gets fouled up in the same way, I believe them. NT will work if you
turn off internal caching, but then everything happens at about 1/4
speed.

Dan Esmond
Animagic
Austin, TX
512-258-4120

--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]